Saturday 16 March 2013

On running clubs, PBs and the fun in sports...

Last Friday I met Katie Hiscock, web editor of Runner’s World, for a coffee and a chat to talk about her running career. As a personal trainer and sports massage therapist, Katie is an experienced runner and knows the science behind her favourite sport.


When have you started running?

I started running about five years ago, my boyfriend got me into it at the time. I remember trying to run to the end of the road, finding it really hard and I thought, ‘oh god, how can people do that’. Then I decided to join ‘Park Run’. It’s a group of runners who get together every week to race against each other. I gradually got better at running and started to increase my distance.
I never thought I would be an endurance runner, because I’m not a natural runner. In school I used to be a sprinter for the North West sprinting team, but as a sprinter my body physique is much different from that of an endurance runner. Sprinters have fast power release muscles, whereas endurance runners have slow-release muscles. It depends very much on your genes pool and there is only so much you can do to change that.

Do you prefer to run by yourself or in a group?

When I started running I used to run by myself, as I would find it really difficult to run and talk at the same time. As a more developed runner, I now prefer to run with other people. Running in a group can give you a real sense of camaraderie and motivation, especially when you’re training for a marathon.

What was your first ever running event?

It was a 5K run for the charity ‘Race for Life’ about six years ago. I remember being worried that I wouldn’t be able to complete it. I wasn’t trained at all and I didn’t know anything about running back then. I don’t remember the exact finishing time, but it was over 30 mins. Now my PB for a 5K is 22:06.

Since then I’ve ran multiple distance events. The Brighton Marathon was my first full-length marathon, which I finished in a time of 4:20. I was injured then and had to take painkillers to be able to complete the race. Now I should be able to run a marathon in a time of sub 4hrs.

What’s your favourite running distance?

I like running half marathons, because they are a good challenge. I can run half marathons now without training for them, but I wouldn’t be able to get a PB. My PB so far is 1:51, but my target time would be 1:45.

What keeps you motivated during training?

The camaraderie of my running group keeps me motivated. I couldn’t train for an endurance run on my own. I ran my first half marathon with my best friend and we kept each other going. Since then, she moved to Australia, so I had to find a new running buddy. I decided to sign up with my local running club and that was the best thing I did.
There is real sense of camaraderie within the club and you become close to other runners. On those days when you don’t feel like running, the incentive to go and see your friends is what makes you go anyway. And you do get bullied when you skip runs, too! My friend Rich, who I got to know through the club, helps me to pace my runs and to bring my PB down. He’s better than any running watch you could buy in the shops.

Obviously, everyone is different. People join running clubs for all sorts of reasons: For some it’s fitness, some are proper racers, some do it for the health benefit. It doesn’t matter, and that’s what I like about running. You are a runner when you put on your trainers and go outside. It’s for fun.

How do you treat yourself after a run?

With food. You have to be careful though, some people put on weight during marathon training due to the high carb load. You find yourself eating all the time and your metabolism goes crazy.

Is there anything you don’t like about the sport?

Runners can become a bit cliquey and quite exclusive, which can be intimidating to new runners and beginners. At the end of the day, running is about putting on your shoes and going outside. Some people overcomplicate it.

Also, the sports industry has become a huge business. There are so-called experts and myths around giving you the wrong advice on nutrition, gels, sports drinks and running shoes. As a sports journalist it is my responsibility to tell the truth, not those outlandish facts about running.

Before our ways part again, Katie gives me some advice for my half marathon training. Go ahead and listen in…
If you are interested to talk to Katie about personal training or sports massages, you can contact her through her website www.coastaltherapy.co.uk.

No comments:

Post a Comment