Tuesday 22 January 2013

65 runs and 538.5 km - my training plan

In preparation for my half-marathon I'm been browsing the internet for a well thought out training plan. Depending on commitment and budget, there are literally hundreds available online for a one-off fee. As an amateur runner my budget is fairly limited. Also, I'd like to be able to adjust my plan to my busy lifestyle and log runs on any device at any time.

Through the Runner's World website I've stumbled upon the MyASICS online training app. The MyASICS app offers to log runs but also to set up training plans from 5K runs to full marathons. The only catch is your run has to be at least four weeks away from date you set up your plan (which makes sense for any beginner, unless you're mad). MyASICS is also available as a smartphone app, which allows me to track my runs on the go and keeping trace of my performance and progress - which I personally find very handy. Sounds all very promising, so let's give it try…

myasics.co.uk

I select my appropriate parameters and MyASICS does all the work for me. I can then adjust the number of runs I'm prepared to commit to during a week (3).

The MyASICS app tells me in order to complete my half marathon with the suggested time of 2:24:59 at 9th June I will run 538.5 kilometres in 65 runs. That sounds a bit harsh, I'd rather not think too much about it…
myasics.co.uk

MyASICS also advises me that my training comprises of 7 phases, starting with the pre-conditioning phase. In the pre-conditioning phase I will work on my overall fitness and then gradually add speed and distance to my training. The next phase - Balanced Training - is only 9 runs away. As a novice to all that jargon, I'm be happy to go along with it.
My first 5K jog is scheduled for tomorrow, let the training begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment